Department of Human & Community Development | Illinois


Information for Students


Human Development and Family Studies

Graduate Program Application Process

Application Deadline: January 15 for enrollment in the following Fall.

Who should apply?

We are looking for diverse, curious, intelligent, and highly motivated students with strong academic records. Students with degrees in behavioral or social sciences, family and consumer sciences, or education are especially encouraged to apply, as are students with involvement in the Ronald E. McNair or SROP undergraduate research opportunities. The minimum grade-point average for admission is 3.0 (A = 4.0). As a guideline, doctoral applicant GRE scores should be above 156 for the verbal reasoning test, above 146 for the quantitative test, and above 4.5 for analytical writing, though the Admissions Committee may admit candidates below these scores if the student demonstrates compelling strengths in other areas. GRE scores should be no more than 2 years old.

We encourage applications from potential M.D./Ph.D. students (Medical Scholars) and, in these cases, will accept MCAT scores in lieu of the GRE. Further, we are one of five departments particiapting in the Illinois Transdisiplinary Obesity Prevention Program (ITOPP), through which students earn both a Master's in Public Health and a Ph.D.

International applicants from non-English-speaking countries must demonstrate English language proficiency (TOEFL Internet-based test score of 103 or higher). See Graduate School information on English Language Proficiency for further information:

In addition to academic potential, we particularly recruit students whose interests and career goals fit the focus of our program and its faculty. Applicants should clearly describe in their personal statements why our program is a good fit for their interests, and identify at least one faculty member with whom they would like to work.

Please note that we have a "full time student" department culture and thus do not enroll part-time students or encourage outside employment during the program. As you will see below, we provide excellent financial support to our full-time students.

Frequently Asked Questions about Graduate School

If you are interested in frequently asked questions about selecting graduate schools, applying for graduate school, and financial aid see "Applying to Graduate School in Human Development& Family Studies--Frequently Asked Questions"

How do I apply?

The graduate application process begins with the completion of an online application
form. Instructions and further information on applying are available at the Graduate College.

If you are ready to apply, go to the application form

What is the deadline?

All applications for fall enrollment are due by January 15.

How do I apply for financial aid?

All applicants are considered for fellowship and assistantship support (both teaching assistants and research assistants).  There is no separate application process for these awards.

The fellowship and assistantship support that we provide is completely separate from state and federal financial aid. If you are interested in grant or loan opportunities, visit the Office of Student Financial Aid.

Where do I send my application?

The application process for graduate school at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is online. If you are ready to apply, go here:

What happens if my application is incomplete? 

Incomplete applications will not be considered for admission.

Where do I find a complete list of instructions for applying?


Where do I send letters of reference? 

All letters are managed through the online application process. The easiest way to do this is to have an email address for the people writing letters and enter this information as a part of your application process.    

Where do I send my transcripts? 
You must list on your online application each institution of post-secondary education from which you have earned credit. You must also submit your transcript / academic record (and diplomas or certificates of degrees if your degree is awarded and not listed on your transcript) for each of these institutions.

Transcripts / academic records (and diplomas or certificates of degrees if your degree is awarded and not listed on your transcript) must be uploaded directly to the online application. English translations should also be uploaded if the credentials are not in English.
Official Academic Credentials.  All credentials uploaded to the online application are considered unofficial. You will only be asked to submit official or attested credentials (transcripts, academic records, diplomas, certificates of degrees, etc.) in a sealed envelope, with a certification stamp across the seal if you are admitted. These must be submitted during your first term of enrollment at the University of Illinois.

More about transcripts:

How do I submit my GRE scores? 

Contact the Educational Testing Service (ETS) ( ) to send official test scores to the University of Illinois. Our institution code is 1836 and program code is 4602.

Does the Department of Human and Community Development need a personal statement?

Yes, we ask that you answer two questions

  1.  What are your research interests and professional goals.
  2. Identify one or two faculty members in the Department and explain how their work fit with your interests. Include the faculty names.

Here is a list of faculty interests and sample publications.

Are international students required to provide visa and financial information? 

Yes, all international applicants are required to demonstrate that they have adequate financial resources to cover the cost of their education while in the United States. Official financial documentation is required as part of the application process in order for visa eligibility documents (I-20 or DS-2019) to the U.S. to be issued.

Are international students required to demonstrate English Language proficiency.

Yes, here is more information:

Is there an application fee?

Yes, there is a non-refundable application fee. The amount of the fee is determined by your citizenship and/or visa. Generally, the fee is $70.00 for domestic students and $90.00 for international students, but here are more precise instructions about qualifications for these rates and fee waiver instructions. FAQs

Who can I contact about this program?

You can also contact the Graduate Program Director, Dr. Ramona Oswald at 217-333-2547 or by email at